To make an appointment with a counsellor please complete the online referral form below or alternatively you can ring us direct on (03) 343 3391 during working hours.
You can also be referred by their GP, health professional, family members and friends
What is Counselling?
- A professional relationship based on trust where confidentiality is paramount.
- A process where a client and counsellor sets aside time to explore difficulties which may include the stressful or emotional feelings of the client.
- Enabling the client to share their feelings, experiences and behaviour with a goal of discovering new ways to facilitate positive change.
- Provide an opportunity for the client to see things clearer, possibly from a different perspective.
- Assisting the client increase their understanding of themselves and their relationships with others and developing more resourceful ways of living.
Counselling is not:
- Giving advice.
- Being judgmental.
- Attempting to sort out the problems of the client.
We’ll match you with a counsellor that can help you with
- Self esteem
Maintaining a healthy emotional life is important for overall health and happiness. Good emotional wellbeing can contribute to increased self-esteem, an increased sense of self, increased energy and better relationships with ourselves and those around us. Wellness is promoted through self-care, having an understanding of our feelings and emotions, dealing with stress in a healthy way and cultivating a sense of compassion towards ourselves. Self-care is about paying attention, listening to what we are feeling and what our body needs to be well. Ignoring our own needs leaves us depleted but self-care will energise and recharge us.
Let’s talk about Counselling
Counselling sessions normally last sixty minutes and are usually scheduled on a weekly basis but some people attend fortnightly or at longer intervals.
This counselling helps you explore and manage what is happening in your life.
The counsellor's role is to assist you in ways that respect your values, culture, personal resources and capacity for change.
The counselling interventions our counsellors provide assist people to better deal with challenges such as trauma, anxiety, grief, depression, relationship issues, stress and personal growth.
As a result of the counselling support provided by Petersgate’s counsellors, many people are empowered to participate more fully in their communities and lead more fulfilling lives. For those living with suicidal thoughts, our service is often the difference between life and death.
We all operate under a strict code of practice; what you see here, what you hear here, stays here.
New Client Referral Form
Please complete this referral form for a Petersgate counsellor to contact you.
NB: Please use this form only if you're making a request for an initial counselling session at Petersgate Counselling Centre for yourself, a patient or a client. This form should not be used by existing clients.
The information you provide will remain strictly confidential to Petersgate Counselling Centre.